This article will help you:
- Discover apps to improve your testing productivity
- Learn how to enable and use apps in your Optimizely project
- Get started with developing your own Optimizely Apps
Optimizely includes several apps to help you customize your optimization workflow. These apps cover a variety of use cases and can be accessed directly in the Optimizely interface. While some apps are developed by Optimizely employees, others are built by external developers.
Optimizely Apps is a beta feature available only to customers on select Optimizely Classic plans. To get access to Apps, you’ll need to first opt-in to the beta by going to Settings > Labs and then select Optimizely Apps. Once you’ve completed this step you will have Apps enabled for your project and you can follow the instructions below.
Managing Apps for a Project
To get started with Optimizely Apps, navigate to the Apps tab located on your Home page dashboard. There, you'll find a full list of apps available for your project, and can manage them accordingly. You can turn apps on and off in the details sidebar to the right. You will also see a brief explanation of the app, who developed it, and a link to documentation on how to use it.
You can enable an app for your project by turning it on from the Apps tab. After turning it on, you’ll see a tab appear on the homepage with the name of the app, as in the example below:
If you click on the tab, you’ll be able to access and use the app. The exact behavior of the app will differ depending on the app.
Apps are different from Integrations. Integrations connect Optimizely with other technologies you already use. Apps are extensions to Optimizely that help you improve your productivity; they don’t necessarily depend on other technologies.
If you no longer want to use an app, simply go to the Apps tab and turn it “Off” to disable it. This app will no longer be active in your project and the developer of the app will have their access revoked. You can re-enable the app at any time.
Developing New Apps
If you’re a developer and interested in building an app, check out our App Developer Guide that includes step-by-step instructions to register, build, and submit an App to Optimizely. Apps are built using a framework we designed called “Canvas” that provides secure authentication and an iframe. You’re free to build an app specific to your company or make your app available to a broader set of Optimizely customers.
You can also submit new ideas for apps you’d like to see built in the Developer Community section in Optiverse. We’re excited to see what new apps you think up!
Apps Currently Available
While we’ve started with a small set of apps to collect some feedback during the beta period of this feature, we expect to see many more in the future. Here are the apps currently available (updated: 3/14/2015):
- Sheets Embed: Access Google spreadsheets related to your Optimizely projects directly within Optimizely.
- Snippet Inspector: Visualize the content of your web snippet to determine how to improve performance.
- Test Duration Calculator (developed by CROmetrics): Get an estimate of how long you’ll need run an experiment to see statistically significant experiment results.
- FunnelEnvy Test Factory (developed by FunnelEnvy): Submit experiment requirements to the FunnelEnvy team to provide a quote and develop the test more efficiently.