- Set up user roles with various permissions
- Add or remove collaborators (users) to your account
This article covers topics in Optimizely Testing. For the article on this topic in Optimizely Personalization, read this article on managing collaborators in Personalization.
In Optimizely, users are called collaborators. This article will walk through how to add, remove, and change user roles for collaborators on your team. Want to see how to manage collaborators? Watch this short video.
User roles and permissions are not available to all plan types. If you don’t see this feature in your Optimizely account, or want to learn more about what’s available, please refer to our Optimizely Classic packages matrix.
The four user roles
User roles are different levels of permissions that you can use to manage collaborators on an Optimizely project. They are especially useful when there are multiple people working on the same project or experiment. The four roles are:
Administrators have full access to all projects and account billing information. They can also add or remove other administrators. If you make someone an Administrator, they are one on every project. If you make an administrator anything else, they lose all privileges on other projects.
Project Owners can create, edit, start, and stop experiments, preview variations, and view results. A project can have more than one project owners. Project owners can also create new projects, invite editors and viewers to the project(s) they are owners of.
Editors can create and edit non-running experiments, preview variations, and view results.
Viewers can preview variations and view results.
Three other roles are also available, Publishers, Restricted Publishers, Restricted Editors. Those roles have been created for Optimizely X and are described in more details in our collaborator roles for Optimizely X article. The reason we offer those roles in classic is that certain plans are still running Optimizely X and Optimizely Classic side by side using bundled snippets.
User roles feature matrix
These are the features that each user role can access.
|Access to All Projects||X|
|Access to Billing Info||X|
|Create New Projects||X||X|
¹ Project Owners can start/stop only experiments within projects that they own
² Editors can edit only non-running experiments
Additionally, here are the user roles available on each Optimizely plan type.
|Bronze (Legacy)||1 user/account|
|Starter (Legacy)||3 users/account|
*Available to select (not all) Enteprise plans
Add a user
- Go to the Home page and navigate to the project where you'd like to add a collaborator
- From the Home page, select the Collaborators tab.
- Click New Collaborator to add a new collaborator to the project.
- Fill in the collaborator's email address and assign them the desired role. Then, select which language you want your invitation sent. When the collaborator first logs in, their account will show up in this language as well. Click Invite when you're ready to send the new collaborator your invitation.
- Once you add someone to a project, they'll receive an email invite. When they log into Optimizely with that email address, they'll have access to the project that they were invited to. If you have more than one project, you can invite them individually to each of the projects to which you'd like them to have access.
Optimizely allows users to log in to multiple accounts. To learn more, go to this article.
Remove and delete a user
To remove a collaborator from your project, go to the Collaborators tab, select the collaborator you would like to remove and then click Remove in the details sidebar to the right. If you would like to delete the collaborator from ALL projects in the account, click Delete.