- Use Salesforce reports to create Optimizely Audiences
- Integrate Salesforce and Marketo with Optimizely so that Salesforce can pass information into experiments
This integration has been deprecated. To learn more, reach out to your Customer Success Manager or file a support ticket.
Salesforce is a Customer Relationship Management product. Integrating Salesforce with Optimizely allows you to create Optimizely Audiences based on Salesforce Reports, so that you can run tests and create personalized experiences targeted to specific leads or user groups that you’ve identified in Salesforce.
This integration requires that you use Marketo tracking on your website and that you have the Marketo’s Salesforce App installed. If you are interested in the Salesforce integration but do not currently use Marketo, please Submit a Product Idea to let us know about your current setup and how we can further expand this feature.
This guide will walk you through finding the needed credentials within Salesforce and Marketo to enable the integration, as well as configuring the integration within Optimizely.
The prerequisites for this setup are:
- An active Salesforce subscription
- An active Marketo subscription
- You must have installed Marketo’s tracking code on your website, as described here
- You must have installed Marketo’s Salesforce application in your Salesforce instance
Enable Salesforce Integration with Marketo
- Go to the Integrations tab on the Home page and select Salesforce
- In the sidebar, you will need to enter your:
- Salesforce Username
- Salesforce Password
- Salesforce Security Token
- Click the down arrow next your name on the top of any Salesforce page, then click My Settings or Setup (whichever appears in the left panel)
- If you clicked My Settings, then select Personal > Reset My Security Token
- If you clicked Setup, then select My Personal Information > Reset My Security Token
- Marketo Client ID and Marketo OAuth Client Secret
Note: A Marketo custom service must first be created. Once a custom service is created, you will have access to a Client ID and an OAuth Client Secret.
- Marketo Identity Endpoint URL: Find the Identity Endpoint URL within the Market Admin > Web Services Panel
- Click the Refresh Generated Uploaded Audiences checkbox in order for Optimizely to sync your account with updated Salesforce data at regular intervals
Create a New Audience Condition from a Salesforce Report
- Login to Optimizely.com and navigate to Navigate to Home > Overview > Audiences
- Click the New Audience button
- Select Salesforce, then drag and drop Salesforce Report into Audience Conditions
- The dropdown gives you the option to select a Salesforce Report from your Salesforce account. The list includes all of your Contact, Lead, Opportunity, and Account reports, ordered by last modified date. If you have a report that you would like to use that is not currently supported, please submit a Product Idea for future iterations.
- You are now ready to create any number of Audience conditions using your integrated Salesforce reports to target specific groups.
If there are Salesforce reports that you’d like to target that are not included in the dropdown menu, please let us know as we scope the next version this integration.
Refreshing Data and Uploaded Audiences
In order to keep the Optimizely integrated Salesforce data synced, you must click the Refresh Generated Uploaded Audiences checkbox. This enables Optimizely to query the Salesforce API every 8 hours to retrieve and sync new data. To see the uploaded audiences enabled through the integration, go to the Uploaded Audiences tab as shown in the screenshot below. For more information, see our article on uploaded audiences.
New Salesforce audience conditions may take between 2-4 hours to begin tracking the targeted groups. In the background, Optimizely will create a User List from Salesforce for each audience condition.